Places That Will Pay You To Move There
Are you tired of living in the same place and looking for a change of scenery? Well, what if I told you that there are places that will actually pay you to move there?
That’s right, some towns and cities are so eager to attract new residents that they are offering cash incentives, student loan assistance, and even free land to entice people to move there.
In this blog post, we’ll explore some of the most generous towns and cities across America that are offering incentives to new residents, and what you need to know to take advantage of these opportunities.
7 States That Will Pay You to Move There
Here are 7 states that will pay you to move there:
Alabama (Shoals Area)
- Incentive: $10,000 in cash
- How it works: Eligible remote workers can get $10,000 in cash if they move to an eligible city in the Shoals. They’ll receive 25% of the incentive upfront, 25% after six months and the remaining 50% after one year.
- Eligibility requirements: Eligible candidates must be at least 18 years old, have a minimum annual income of $52,000 and have full-time remote employment or be self-employed outside of Colbert and Lauderdale Counties. If approved, you must be able to move to the region within six months.
- How to apply: You can submit an application online through the Remote Shoals program.
- Incentive: Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD) payment every fall. In 2022, the payment also included an energy relief payment, which brought the total amount to $3,284. The payment for 2021 was a more modest $1,114.
- How it works: Eligible Alaska residents who reside in the state for a full calendar year receive a distribution of the PFD upon approval. Payments begin in September.
- Eligibility requirements: You must establish residency in the state and remain a resident for the entire calendar year. If you were absent for more than 180 days, it must be an allowable absence. You also can’t claim residency in any other state or have certain convictions or be incarcerated.
- How to apply: Learn about the qualifications and create a my PFD account through the state to fill out and submit your application.
- Incentive: $10,000 cash incentive to residents who build a home valued at $190,000 or more.
- How it works: Eligible residents will receive the $10,000 when they close on the financing to purchase the home.
- Eligibility requirements: The home must be a new construction that’s worth at least $190,000, exclusive of the land value. It must also be owner-occupied as a residential single-family home, so investment properties are ineligible.
- How to apply: Contact the Newton Housing Development Corporation for more information and details on how to apply.
- Incentive: up to $15,000 in cash incentives, depending on your work status.
- How it works: If your employer participates in the program and you purchase or rent a home in Shawnee County within a year of moving or starting your position, you can get $10,000 in the first year for rent or $15,000 for a home purchase. If you’re a remote worker with an employer outside of the county, you can get up to $5,000 toward rent the first year or $10,000 toward a home purchase.
- Eligibility requirements: For on-site workers, your employer must participate in the program, and you must be eligible to work in the U.S. For remote workers, you must wait three months after moving before you can apply and meet other requirements.
- How to apply: You can learn more about the program, including some of the more complex rules, by visiting the Choose Topeka program website.
- Incentive: “reverse scholarship” worth up to $10,000 from the Hamilton Community Foundation if you move to the area.
- How it works: If you move to or live in one of the Urban Neighborhoods or in Armondale or Highland Park neighborhoods in Hamilton, you can receive $300 per month, up to a total of $10,000, for living in the area. Payments will be made to you over the course of three years.
- Eligibility requirements: You must live in the designated area, be at least 18 years old, have a minimum annual income of $30,000, and be employed or have the plan to be employed within 6 months of receiving the scholarship.
- How to apply: You can submit an application through the Hamilton Community Foundation website.
- Incentive: $10,000 in cash, free desk space at a coworking community and other incentives.
- How it works: Remote workers who move to Tulsa within 12 months of approval will receive $2,500 upfront for relocation costs, $500 per month for their first 12 months in the city, and an additional $1,500 after completing their first year. They will also receive a 36-month membership at a local coworking space, as well as access to other resources to help with settling in.
- Eligibility requirements: Candidates must be at least 18 years old and eligible to work in the U.S. They must also have full-time remote employment or be self-employed outside of Oklahoma.
- How to apply: Interested individuals can learn more about the incentives and its limitations and submit an application through the Tulsa Remote website.
- Incentive: $12,000 in cash, a full year’s worth of free outdoor recreation, and free access to a coworking space.
- How it works: Remote workers who move to one of three eligible communities (Morgantown Area, Greenbrier Valley, Eastern Panhandle) in West Virginia will receive $12,000 in cash, a full year’s worth of free outdoor recreation valued at over $2,500, and free access to a coworking space.
- Eligibility requirements: Candidates must have full-time remote employment and commit to living and working in the selected community for at least 12 months.
- How to apply: Interested individuals can learn more about the program and submit an application through the program’s website.
7 Countries that pay you to move there
Here is a list of 7 countries that pay you to move there:
Some towns and cities in Spain offer incentives to attract new residents.
For example, the town of Candeleda in Avila province offers new residents a €2,000 ($2,346) grant to help with the cost of moving and renovating a property.
Some Swiss cantons (states) offer financial incentives to attract new residents, such as tax breaks or housing subsidies.
For example, the canton of Appenzell Ausserrhoden offers new residents a grant of up to CHF 10,000 ($10,738) to help with the cost of moving.
Some Italian towns and cities offer incentives to attract new residents.
For example, the town of Bormida in Liguria offers new residents a €2,000 grant to help with the cost of moving and renovating a property.
The Irish government has a scheme called the “Living in Rural Ireland” scheme, which offers new residents in rural areas a grant of up to €3,000 to help with the cost of moving and renovating a property.
Some Chilean cities and regions offer incentives to attract new residents.
For example, the city of Valdivia in the Los Rios region offers new residents a grant of up to CLP 10,000,000 ($12,900) to help with the cost of moving and renovating a property.
Some regions in Mauritius offer incentives to attract new residents.
For example, the island of Rodrigues offers new residents a grant of up to MUR 600,000 ($16,270) to help with the cost of moving and renovating a property.
Some towns and villages in Greece offer incentives to attract new residents.
For example, the village of Kritsa in Crete offers new residents a grant of up to €12,000 to help with the cost of moving and renovating a property.
Some towns and regions in Croatia offer incentives to attract new residents.
For example, the town of Novi Vinodolski in Primorje-Gorski Kotar county offers new residents a grant of up to HRK 50,000 ($7,638) to help with the cost of moving and renovating a property.
What to Do Before Applying to These Programs
If you’re able to work remotely at your current job and are looking to move somewhere with a lower cost of living, a relocation program might be worth considering.
Just remember that it’s not a small commitment, and qualifying for these incentives isn’t as simple as telling your boss you’re moving.
Talk to your employer
Even if your employer allows you to work remotely, this doesn’t mean you’ll automatically be able to work from another state.
Communicate with your employer about what you would like to do so you can get ahead of any logistical or bureaucratic issues.
Figure out what you want before committing to moving
Have a list of things that you’re looking for in the next place you move to – know your priorities.
Getting paid to move sounds like a great perk, but you are committing to move to a new destination, often for at least a year or more.
So you’ll want to make sure your lifestyle aligns with everything else the area offers outside of the cash benefits.
Understand what you’re getting and what you’re losing
Eligibility requirements for these programs vary. Typically, you’ll need to live in the area for one to two years, and the payout is usually doled out in increments over that time.
Read the fine print and make sure you understand the terms and conditions of the program.
Look into the cost of living, housing prices, and job market in the area you are considering moving to.
Research the area and do your due diligence
Learn about the culture, customs, and language of the country you’re considering moving to.
Look into the availability of healthcare, education, and other essential services.
Speak with people who have moved to the area, or are currently living there, to get a sense of what it’s really like.
Plan ahead and prepare for the move
Understand the process of getting a visa or work permit in the country you’re moving to.
Make arrangements for your belongings to be shipped or stored.
Plan for the cost of the move and budget accordingly.Look into the availability of housing in the area you’re moving to, and make sure you have a place to live when you arrive.
What Places Will Pay Me To Move There?
Some examples of places that have offered incentives to attract new residents include Vermont, Maine, and Alaska.
These incentives can include cash bonuses, student loan repayment assistance, and even free land.
Are There Any Specific Qualifications Or Requirements To Be Eligible For These Incentives?
Eligibility requirements vary by program and location.
Some programs may require a certain level of education or job skills, while others may have income or residency requirements.
It’s important to research the specific program and its requirements before applying.
How Do I Find Out More Information About A Specific Program?
Information about specific programs can usually be found on the website of the city, county, or state government where the program is offered.
You can also contact the program directly to ask questions or request more information.
How Much Money Can I Expect To Receive As An Incentive To Move To A Specific Location?
The amount of money offered as an incentive can vary widely depending on the program and location.
Some programs may offer a few thousand dollars, while others may offer tens of thousands of dollars.
It’s important to research the specific program to find out how much money is being offered.
Are There Any Long-Term Commitments Required When Accepting An Incentive To Move To A Certain Place?
It depends on the program. Some programs may require a minimum length of residence or a repayment of the incentives if you leave before a certain date.
It’s important to carefully review the terms and conditions of the program before accepting any incentives.
It’s important to remember that these programs are not a small commitment and that qualifying for these incentives requires more than just telling your boss you’re moving.
It’s crucial to talk to your employer, figure out what you want before committing to moving, and understand what you’re getting and what you’re losing before applying.
These are exciting opportunities, but it’s important to weigh the pros and cons before taking the leap.