Are you tired of having to remove your bike rack or cargo carrier every time you need to access the rear of your vehicle?
Well, this blog will introduce you to the DIY Swing Away Hitch, the ultimate accessory for anyone who wants to make their life on the road a little bit easier.
It’s perfect for anyone who wants to save time and hassle on the road.
Building one is easy and you will be enjoying a hassle-free life on the road in no time!
What Materials are needed for DIY swing-away hitch installation?
To install a DIY swing away hitch, you will need the following materials:
1. Hitch mount:
This is the base structure that will be attached to the frame of your vehicle.
It typically consists of a rectangular plate with mounting holes and a receiver tube for attaching a trailer or other load.
You can choose a hitch mount that is specific to your make and model of vehicle for a more precise fit.
2. Hitch extension:
This is a long, sturdy tube that fits into the receiver of the hitch mount and provides additional length and clearance for your trailer or other load.
It can be attached to the hitch mount using bolts or other hardware.
3. Hardware and tools:
You will need a variety of tools and hardware to complete the installation, including a drill, drill bits, wrenches, sockets, bolts, nuts, and lock washers.
You may also need additional brackets or mounting plates, depending on the specific design of your hitch mount and extension.
In addition to these materials, it is also a good idea to have a few basic safety precautions in place.
This might include wearing protective eyewear, gloves, and other protective gear, as well as having a helper to assist you with the installation process.
Finally, be sure to follow all instructions carefully and use caution when working with heavy machinery or tools.
How To Install A Swing-Away Hitch?
Here is a step-by-step guide for installing a swing-away hitch:
1. Preparing the hitch mount and extension:
- Before beginning the installation, make sure you have all the necessary tools and equipment. You will need a socket set, torque wrench, drill, drill bits, and any other tools specified in the hitch mount’s installation instructions.
- Begin by laying out the hitch mount and extension on a flat, stable surface.
- If the hitch mount and extension are not already pre-assembled, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for attaching the extension to the hitch mount.
2. Attaching the extension to the hitch mount:
- Once the extension is attached to the hitch mount, it’s time to attach the assembly to your vehicle.
- Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for the specific mounting location on your vehicle. It is typically mounted to the frame of the vehicle, either near the rear bumper or underneath the vehicle.
- Using the drill and drill bits specified in the installation instructions, create the necessary holes in the vehicle’s frame.
- Secure the hitch mount to the vehicle using the bolts, nuts, and washers provided. Use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts to the specification indicated in the installation instructions.
3. Mounting the hitch mount to the vehicle:
- With the hitch mount securely attached to the vehicle, it’s time to attach the extension.
- Line up the extension with the hitch mount and insert the pins through the holes.
- Secure the extension to the hitch mount using the locking pins provided. Make sure the pins are fully seated and locked in place.
4. Finishing touches and safety checks:
- Once the swing away hitch is fully assembled and mounted to the vehicle, it’s important to perform a few safety checks before using it.
- Check all bolts and pins to make sure they are tightened to the correct specification.
- Test the swing away feature to make sure it is working properly.
- It’s also a good idea to double-check the manufacturer’s weight limits and towing capacity to ensure that the swing away hitch is suitable for your needs.
Tips For Successful DIY Swing Away Hitch Installation
Installing a swing away hitch on your vehicle can be a challenging task, but it is well worth the effort in the end.
With a swing away hitch, you can easily access the rear of your vehicle without having to worry about maneuvering around a trailer.
To ensure a successful DIY swing away hitch installation, here are some helpful tips to follow:
1. Double-check measurements and alignment:
Before starting the installation process, it is important to double-check the measurements and alignment of the hitch to ensure that it fits properly on your vehicle.
Measure the width and height of your hitch and make sure it is aligned with the mounting points on your vehicle.
This will help ensure a secure and stable installation.
2. Ensure all hardware is tightened properly:
One of the key factors in a successful DIY swing away hitch installation is making sure all hardware is tightened properly.
This includes bolts, nuts, and screws. If any of these are not tightened properly, it could lead to an unstable or unsafe hitch.
Make sure to use the appropriate tools and follow the installation instructions carefully to ensure all hardware is tightened properly.
3. Ask for help:
If you are unsure about the installation process or feel overwhelmed, it is always a good idea to ask for help or seek professional installation.
A professional installer will have the experience and knowledge to ensure that the hitch is installed correctly and safely.
This will give you peace of mind and ensure that your hitch is ready to be used for hauling or towing.
4. Follow the instructions carefully:
One of the most important things you can do to ensure a successful DIY swing away hitch installation is to follow the instructions carefully.
These instructions will provide step-by-step guidance on how to install the hitch and will include any important safety precautions or warnings.
Make sure to read through the instructions completely before starting the installation process and follow them carefully to ensure a successful installation.
FAQs about Diy Swing Away Hitch
How Do I Install A Swing Away Hitch On My Vehicle?
First, make sure you have all the necessary tools and parts for the installation.
Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer and use caution when drilling and attaching the hitch to your vehicle.
It is recommended to seek the assistance of a professional if you are unsure about the installation process.
Can I Use A Swing Away Hitch With Any Type Of Trailer?
It is recommended to only use a swing away hitch with trailers that are specifically designed to be used with a swing away hitch.
Using a swing away hitch with a trailer that is not compatible can cause damage to the trailer and potentially harm individuals using the hitch.
How Do I Properly Maintain A Swing Away Hitch?
Regular maintenance of a swing away hitch is essential to ensure it is functioning properly and safely.
This includes regularly lubricating the hinges and pivot points, checking for any damages or wear and tear, and ensuring all bolts and nuts are tightened properly.
Is It Possible To Add A Bike Rack Or Other Accessory To A Swing Away Hitch?
Yes, it is possible to add a bike rack or other accessory to a swing away hitch.
However, make sure the accessory is compatible with the hitch and does not exceed the weight capacity of the hitch.
Can A Swing Away Hitch Be Used With A Towing Hitch On The Same Vehicle?
It is not recommended to use both a swing away hitch and a towing hitch on the same vehicle at the same time.
This can cause unnecessary stress on the vehicle and potentially compromise the safety of the hitch.
It is best to choose one or the other depending on your needs.
In conclusion, a DIY swing away hitch can be a useful addition to any vehicle that frequently tows trailers or other types of equipment.
Allowing the hitch to swing away from the vehicle, allows for greater maneuverability and accessibility to the rear of the vehicle.
Building a swing away hitch yourself can save money and allow for customization to fit your specific needs.
It is important to note, however, that proper installation and safety precautions should be taken to ensure the hitch is secure and safe to use.